It’s been a year, huh?
2017 began with the flat, lurching noise of our dreams being punctured, and continued to leak out hope with a damp, monotonous farting sound that only increased in volume and horror as the months went by. 2017 gave no quarter: Each silver lining was rudely snatched away, and by the end of it, limping to the finish line, it felt more like an endurance test than a year — a gauntlet made up of white nationalism, shitty media men, heinous political corruption and the growing sense that we, as a society, had only two realistic options left to us: Sink into this stinking morass forever, or burn it all down and start again.
But, y’know, MEL had a pretty good year.
Sorry, but we did. We learned a lot; we wrote a lot; we shared a lot. We used 2017 to try and overcome the increasingly glaring differences between us all and figure out how not just to function, but to use the endless bullshit being flung at us to fuel our fire, make our voices heard and connect with like-minded people — aka you — to make us all feel a little less insane, a little less hopeless and a little less alone.
We also wrote a lot about dicks.
As this fuck-show of a year draws to a close, we’re incredibly proud to bring you our thoughts on what the hell happened.
Enjoy. Process. Prepare yourself for next year.
Because one way or another, 2017 is done.
The Very Best of MEL in 2017 (And Everything Else We Have to Say About the Year That Was):
- The State of Drugs
- UPDATE: ‘I Lead A Class For Dads on How to Style Their Daughters’ Hair’
- All the Memes We Thought Were Worth Covering in 2017
- 2017: The Year Movie Trailers Were Better Than Movies
- All the Best Things People Told Us in 2017
- Me and My Troll
- All the People We Gave Fitness Advice To in 2017 (and What They Did with It)
- 2017 in Comics
- All the Times We Ruined Sex in 2017
- The State of the Gender Divide
- UPDATE: Professional Clowns Are All Kinds of Pissed About the ‘IT’ Remake
- Everything We Learned About Our Dicks in 2017
- The People, Places and Things That Made Us Forget That It Was 2017
- All the Movies MEL Wrote About in 2017, Ranked
- Headline Distress Disorder
- The Most Disgusting Ingredients We Investigated in 2017
- The Things We Wish We Hadn’t Done in 2017
- How We Got High in 2017
- The State of Male Body Image
- UPDATE: Charlottesville Is Tearing Apart This ‘Seinfeld’ Meme Facebook
- All the Times We Wrote About Poop in 2017
- The MEL Movie Awards for 2017
- Our 20 Most Popular Stories of 2017
- Everything I Learned From Watching as Much Porn From Around the World as I Could
- All the Times We Ruined Food in 2017
- The State of the Internet
- UPDATE: An Oral History of My Family’s College Football Obsession
- All the Times We Cuck’d Ourselves in 2017
- Trump’s First Year in the White House, Illustrated
- All the People We Gave Sex Advice To in 2017 (and What They Did with It)
- What If You Actually Had a Pretty Great 2017?
- A Gentleman’s Guide to Everything We Covered Like a Gentleman in 2017
- What We’re Looking Forward to in 2018
- Everything You Can Blame Your Dad For in 2017
- All the Things We Put Ourselves Through in 2017 So You Didn’t Have To
- The State of Work
- All the Weird Things We Learned about Each Other in 2017
- A (Not Very) Scientific Overview of 2017
- Everything We Thought Was Bullshit in 2017
- Everything We Learned From Animals in 2017
- Our Favorite MEL Art from 2017
- All of Our Sunday Funnies in 2017