Please put a pin in whatever you’re doing and allow us to circle back to a quick recounting of the very best of our jobs and money coverage in 2016 — if for no other reason than it’s low-hanging fruit at a time of year when everyone is on vacation (both our staff and our readers).
A few things in particular stand out. First and foremost, tip your Uber driver — and Task Rabbit and GrubHub deliverer and anyone else you temporarily hire to bring you things at under market value. Second, most offices should employ a staff coroner and undertaker since some dudes won’t retire no matter what, so they’re most likely to die at their desks. If that proves too morbid, they should, at the very least, embrace the office misfit. Or encourage the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that will nurture ideas such as plastic molds of hillbilly teeth. After all, you never know where your next million-dollar idea is going to come from.
Of course, it’s hard to know anymore if a million dollars is enough to retire on. Like most magic financial numbers, it might not add up to a lot when a whole lifetime is taken into account. One good goal in the meantime, however: Digging yourself out of debt. We found a number of people who prove that it’s possible. Either way, you should definitely focus on paying down your student loans, because defaulting on them isn’t such a great idea. It would cripple the global economy if everyone followed suit.
Speaking of global economic crisis, the best way to understand it is to watch Steven Soderbergh’s 2009 film The Girlfriend Experience.
If nothing else, it’ll give you the biggest bang for your buck.
The Best of Our 2016 Jobs + Money Coverage:
- ‘Let’s Take This Offline Where We Can Brainstorm a Little More Outside the Box’
- A Tipping Guide for the Sharing Economy
- ‘I’ll Retire When I’m Dead’: Why Continuing to Work Is Good for a Man’s Health
- A Eulogy for the Pit Trader
- Embrace Your Office Misfits
- I’ve Made Millions Selling Fake Plastic Hillbilly Teeth
- Will $75,000 a Year Make You Happy? Is 30 Percent of Income the Max to Pay in Rent?
- Personal Finance Tips From People Who Have Paid Off Their Debts
- What Would Happen If We All Stopped Paying Our Student Loans?
- ‘The Girlfriend Experience’ Is the Best Film About the 2008 Financial Collapse